It’s official: The Yards has achieved LEED Gold Certification!
The LEED rating system, developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC), is the foremost program for buildings, homes and communities that are designed, constructed, maintained and operated for improved environmental and human health performance.
How did we get the Gold? Because from the very beginning, practical and measurable strategies and solutions were implemented to achieve high performance in sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection, and indoor environmental quality.
But what does that mean? It means a lot! Take a look:
- 90% of the waste generated by on-site construction activities were diverted to destinations other than landfills
- Nearly 26% of the building materials purchased for the project were manufactured and extracted from regional sources
- Almost 13% of the total building materials were manufactured using recycled materials
- Priority on-site parking for energy-efficient vehicles and electric vehicle charging stations support reduction of fossil fuel impact
- One of the largest array of solar panel in Pittsburgh lines the roofs of the apartment wings and landscaped green roofs top the common areas
- Low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) adhesives, flooring and sealants improve indoor air quality
- LED lighting, ENERGY STAR appliances and water-saving fixtures help reduce the use of natural resources
“Our philosophy with multifamily projects is to create sustainable communities with their own individual identities,” shares Steve Guy, President and CEO of Oxford Development Company, developer of The Yards at 3 Crossings. “With a great project team, we were able to exceed our certification expectations for this project and provide residents with a safe, healthy dwelling in a fun and active neighborhood.”
In addition to satisfied residents, The Yards can expect a significant reduction in energy consumption by approximately 20 percent and water use by 40 percent compared to similar residential properties. Many thanks to the stellar project team:
- Rycon Construction — Construction Manager
- McCaffery Interests — Property Manager
- WTW Architects — Architect of Record
- Loftus Engineers – Mechanical Engineer
- Langan — Civil Engineer
- LaQuatra Bonci — Landscape Architect
- Z-Tech Consulting — Building Commissioning Agent
Learn more about The Yards superior sustainability efforts here and go forth and be green!